Monday, July 9, 2012

Weekend Update with Caleb Holt

There is a house in New Orleans.

So Friday I went to a French barbecue with Mathieu. It was a lot of fun actually. There was plenty of wine bread and sausages. But that was about it. It was cool to see how they interacted in that type of setting. Another view into the culture. There was a very well-spoken (read spoke good english) Frenchman who wanted to go to Harvard or somewhere in the states, which is why he spoke so well. And most of them could speak enough English for us to converse. There was one Italian guy who was quite well off who kept ending his sentences in You Know?! More food for my american friend, You Know?! (I didn't complain about this.)

On saturday, I took it easier and saw some sights I had neglected. I saw Les Invalides and Napoleon's tomb. The tomb part was super cool. Napoleon was ridiculously cocky though apparently, which is what makes it so much fun to visit. The church there too was also very cool, although the tomb was much more impressive. Then I visited Rodin's gardens, which were awesome. I like one artist museums much more I've decided than collections. However collections allow you to see much more of a variety. Going through people's life is just really cool.

Sunday I tried to go to Lauds with Drew at Sacre Coeur. Unfortunately the internet led us astray again, so we just took in the basilisk then wandered around...wherever we were. There was an open air market that went on forever. I finally got the pair of Lennon sunglasses I've been searching for. I'm quite pleased. Then we chilled an took it easy the rest of the afternoon. For dinner we (Zak, Drew, and I) went to Zango's again. Love that place. There was an acoustic band this time. Quite good. 


Monday work we actually did something. Got the new target set up and the fringes look good. It was so nice to be back in the lab aligning things. It's weird how much that can frustrate me, and how much I can enjoy it when it works. Then the rest of the morning we took it easy and heard a talk. It was interesting, about second order harmonics for something. I didn't really pay too much attention (obviously). After lunch we hooked up the driver which turns the target, but the motor of the new target shakes it so much we can't even use the program we originally had. Which leads me to believe that the original set-up worked much better. However we still have to try to minimize the wobble to prove that the original works.


"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment